Is Your Blog Trustworthy?
If you want to build a successful blog, you need to earn the trust of your readers. After all, if people don’t trust you, they’re not going to keep reading you. Trust is a critical attribute that every blogger should strive to earn.
How can you make your blog more credible? Here are some tips to help you out.
- Invest in a professional design—Appearances matter. While you might not like the idea of paying for a professional, custom blog design, it’s a good idea. If you use a cheap or free blog template, your site will look, well, cheap. Visitors will judge your site by how it looks when they arrive. You have to make a strong first impression and have a sharp, branded design.
- Post your credentials—Has you blog won any awards or top rankings? Post those badges prominently on your site. What about you? What are your credentials? Make sure your blog has an About page with a bio that explains who you are and what you’ve done. You have to position yourself as an authority if you want people to trust you.
- Don’t write about things you don’t know about—This one speaks for itself. If you’re not knowledgeable in a particular subject, don’t write about it. You’ll only end up sticking your foot in your mouth and killing your credibility.
- Link out to great sources—I’ve always encouraged linking out to other blogs. Not only does it give your readers a fresh perspective and capture the attention of the blogger you’re linking to, but it also builds your credibility by validating your statements with reliable resources.
- Don’t let ads overrun your blog—There’s nothing wrong with having ads on your blog, but when the ads become overwhelming and eat up too much real estate, it creates the impression that you’re just blogging for bucks. And that can be a serious blow to your credibility.
- Edit and fact check before posting—No, you’re not writing for the New York Times, but that doesn’t mean that you can afford to get sloppy with your blogging. You should still hold yourself to a high standard. Edit your posts to make sure they don’t have any silly typos or grammatical errors, and more importantly, check your facts to ensure you’re giving readers correct information.
What are some of the things you do to make your blog more trustworthy? Share your thoughts by leaving a comment below.