7 List Building Tips for Your Email Marketing Campaign
A strong email list can be one of the most powerful weapons in your marketing arsenal. Email marketing is one of the cheapest methods of advertising, and it allows you to build relationships with your subscribers over time. But if you don’t have a good subscriber list, you’ll never reap the full benefits of email marketing.
So, what can you do to build up a responsive email list of people who’ll take action and buy your products? Here are 7 tips to follow.
- Have a subscription signup on every page—Because people will be arriving at different pages on your website, it’s important that you have a signup form for your email list on every page. While the most popular way to do this is to simply have a sidebar that says something along the line of “Subscribe to our newsletter”, I recommend including a bit more information to entice the visitor to sign up. Remember, people want to know what’s in it for them, so you should list a few benefits of signing up your email list.
- Offer a free eBook in exchange for signing up—eBooks are one of the most powerful tools for adding subscribers to your email list. By offering a free eBook on a topic in exchange for an email address, you create an offer that’s irresistible. After all, who wouldn’t want to get a free downloadable book on a subject that interests them? The other reason this is effective is because it builds up a highly targeted list of interested consumers. The people who download your eBook will be those with similar interests, and they’ll be likelier to respond to your future email marketing messages.
- Write highly informative, useful newsletters—The newsletter is the core of many email marketing campaigns. Just make sure your newsletter isn’t one long sales pitch. Instead, include informative articles that enhance the user-experience for your subscribers. This will keep them from opting out of your list, and it will help improve your credibility over time.
- Ask for an email address on your PPC landing pages—PPC landing pages should almost always have a contact form as part of the conversion. This gives you a means for following up on those potentially interested in doing business with you.
- Make registration easy—Don’t make people jump through hoops just to subscribe to your email list. Make the process as simple as possible. Have them enter their email address, and let them move forward. The more difficult you make it to subscribe, the fewer subscribers you’ll have.
- Have a signup list at events you attend—If you attend any networking events or industry conferences, have a signup list with you at your table. Interested attendees can simply write down their email address to become members. Again, consider offering a giveaway in exchange for signing up.
- Don’t buy email lists—Building up a strong email list can take time, so I can see why it’s tempting to take the shortcut of paying for an email list from a 3rd party. But don’t do it. First off, many of these email lists are from spammers who acquired the email addresses using spammy methods. But even if the lists were legitimately acquired through opt-ins, they’ll never be as targeted as they would be if you built the list yourself. Thus, your email marketing conversion rates will be lower.
How do you build up your email list?