Shared Server Scheduled Maintenance
Over the next few weeks, we will be conducting scheduled maintenance on all of our shared servers. There are a number of updates occurring, including:
- cPanel updated from 11.34 to 11.38
- New Apache 2.2.25, Percona MySQL 5.5.33, and PHP 5.3.27 as default installations
- PHP 5.2.17 and 5.4.19 alternate installs made available to customers.
- Improved Mod_Security rule sets
- Improved monitoring and load management capabilities
- Addition a Nginx Acceleration stack that will be available to customers
- Improved default MySQL and PHP configurations
- Replacement of Fantastico Deluxe with Softaculous Auto Installer
For PHP, all existing users will default to 5.2.17 and all new users will default to 5.3.27. We encourage customers to use the latest PHP version available to help ensure optimal website performance and security. If you run a current version of WordPress, we recommend using PHP version 5.4. Customers that have enabled PHP version 5.4 have seen up to a 20% increase in performance.
To use the respective PHP versions, please edit your htaccess entries to include one of these lines:
For version 5.4: AddType application/x-httpd-php54 .php
For version 5.2: AddType application/x-httpd-php52 .php
For PHP 5.3, simply comment out any AddType PHP definition (if any).
Our plan is to begin the maintenance on a small group of servers starting this evening and then upgrade approximately 5 servers per day until the upgrades are completed on all servers. Most upgrades will start at approximately 8 pm Eastern time. Expected downtime is approximately 20-30 minutes for web services, followed by an additional 10 minutes of cPanel inaccessibility. We expect fairly minimal disruption to customers and sites after the changes are complete.
We have already rolled out these upgrades to some servers over the past month or two and have seen great results. We believe these changes will lead to much more stable and much better performing servers, and subsequently a better experience for all of our customers.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact our support team. They will be happy to take a look at our schedule of upgrades and let you know when your accounts will be affected.