I’m assuming most of you already know what podcasting is, but just in case one of you has been living under a rock, podcasting is essentially your own downloadable radio talk show. You can do everything from talking about the hottest industry news to interviewing experts in your field. You can promote your podcast through your blog, website, iTunes, and other places.
A number of businesses have jumped on the podcasting bandwagon, and those who do it well are reaping several benefits. Here are just a few of the biggest podcasting benefits.
1. Increase your authority—Just like blogging or writing an e-book, podcasting is another way to establish yourself as a thought leader in your industry. The best way to build your authority is to give your unique insight on relevant industry topics without sounding like a constant advertisement for your services. By providing quality discussions to your listeners, your words will start to carry more weight, and over time, people will begin to trust you.
2. Connect with a new audience—With the ability to place your podcast on iTunes and other websites, you have an excellent opportunity to reach an entirely new audience. Some of your listeners will be people who would have never found your blog or website. And once you have them listening to your podcast, you can direct them to your website, thus increasing your traffic in the process.
3. Improve relationships with your target audience—For many, it’s easier to build a personal connection to a human voice than it is to an anonymous guy blogging. It just makes things more real, and it showcases the true you. Simply put, podcasting is another way to add a strong link in the chain connecting you and your target audience. You could also respond to questions submitted by your users to add an interactive element to your show, further strengthening the relationship.
4. Build your brand—At the end of the day, podcasting is just another way to build your brand. Not only are you expanding your brand’s presence, but you’re also refining its image through the words you speak. You’re able to tell your story week after week. Just make sure the image you present in your podcast is consistent with the image you put forth in your blogging and social networking. Consistency is key when building a brand.
5. Inexpensive promotion—Perhaps the best thing about podcasting is how inexpensive it is. With the right recording software on your computer, you can easily record, edit, and publish your own podcasts. And if your podcast becomes popular enough, you can actually make money by selling advertising spots.
Do you podcast? If so, how has it helped your business?