According to a recent report from Bain & Company, customers who engage with companies over social media spend 20 percent to 40 percent more money with those companies than other customers. They also demonstrate a deeper emotional commitment to the companies, granting them an average 33 points higher Net Promoter® score (NPS®), a common measure of customer loyalty.
With that in mind, here are 7 ways you can increase engagement over Twitter.
- Retweet others—Whenever you Retweet someone, it shows that your company is paying attention to the conversation. It lets your followers know that you’re interested in more than just sending out one-way, promotional Tweets. Furthermore, it will catch the attention of the individual who you Retweet, which can help you build a relationship with that person.
- Thank followers for Retweets—It’s one of the simplest things you can do, but it goes a long way to showing followers that you’re grateful for their support. Any time someone Retweets you, take a moment to thank them. It just takes a second, so there’s no good reason not to do it.
- Ask open-ended questions—Initiate the conversation with your followers by asking open-ended questions. You can ask anything from customer opinions on your products and services to your followers’ thoughts on a popular TV show or sporting event. The goal is to start a conversation so you can increase engagement and strengthen your relationships.
- Take part in at least one conversation daily—Make it a point to take part in at least one meaningful conversation on Twitter each day. You might not have a ton of time to Tweet, but this is a good way to make sure you’re doing something of value each time you use Twitter.
- Give props to your great followers—You don’t have to wait until Follow Friday to spotlight your best followers. Give them props from time to time. Tell others to follow them, and Retweet interesting content that your followers post.
- Tweet photos and videos—Tweeting pictures and videos adds more personality to your company’s Twitter profile. It lets your followers get to know you on a deeper level, adding more authenticity and boosting engagement. Tout is a cool tool for sharing short video updates.
- Share useful, interesting content—Above all else, you have to share content that your followers actually care about. If your Tweets suck, you won’t be able to engage with your followers. It’s really that simple.
What are some of your best tips for increasing engagement on Twitter? Share your thoughts by leaving a comment.