50 Simple Tips for Improving Your Website
This checklist provides 50 simple ways for you to make your website even better!
1. Use .htaccess to redirect the non-www version of your website to the www version.
2. Extend the registration of your domain for at least five years.
3. Make sure that when a visitor clicks your website’s logo, they are taken back to the homepage.
4. If you think your font is too small, make it bigger!
5. Remove widgets that aren’t directly enhancing your website.
6. Include an easy to find contact link, e-mail address or phone number on every page of your website.
7. Use a CSS stylesheet to make your website printer friendly.
8. Fix or remove broken links (external and internal).
9. Add ALT tags to all of your images.
10. If your website is using frames, get rid of them!
11. If you don’t have a robots.txt file, create one.
12. Provide the same basic navigation menu on every page of your website.
13. Use the same color for links throughout your website.
14. Spell check your content.
15. Format your content so that it is easy to scan.
16. Add at least one picture to every page of your website.
17. If you don’t have an About page, create one.
18. Use your About page to show your brand’s personality.
19. Include at least three pictures on your About page.
20. If your website has pop-up windows, get rid of them!
21. Link to relevant social media profiles from your About page.
22. Add a search box near the top of your website’s layout.
25. Use dashes in filenames instead of underscores.
26. Add a link to Google Maps on your Contact page.
27. Add internal links from one piece of content to another.
28. Write a unique META description for all of your main pages.
29. Validate your source code and correct any errors.
30. If you have a link exchange page, get rid of it!
31. Add a site search box to your 404 page.
32. Create a sitemap for your website.
33. Add a link to your sitemap at the bottom of every page of your website.
34. Add a copyright notification to the bottom of every page of your website.
35. Underline your links throughout your website.
36. Turn off music that automatically plays.
37. Get rid of any flashing GIF animations.
38. Include your website logo at the top of every page.
39. Register the .net and .org versions of your domain and redirect them to your website.
40. If you don’t have a help or support section, create one!
41. When you answer a question via e-mail, add the answer to the help/support section.
42. Look at your contact forms and see if there is any information you don’t have to request from your visitors.
43. Add your analytics code to every page of your website.
44. Get rid of any pages that automatically resize visitors’ browser window.
45. Create a favicon for your website.
46. Only use email address that include @yourdomain.
47. Label each box of any forms on your website.
48. Show a confirmation any time a visitor completes a significant action on your website.
49. Create one new piece of quality content for your website every week.
50. Leave a comment with your suggestion for the fiftieth tip!