In Glengarry Glen Ross, underperforming real estate salesmen complain that “the leads are weak.” They believe the reason they aren’t selling anything is because they don’t have qualified leads. And without qualified leads, you really have nothing.
The solution? In the movie, they offer new, qualified leads…the Glengarry leads. These leads are golden, the best of the best. They include highly targeted prospects who are interested in buying.
How can you get your own Glengarry leads?
Some common methods for generating leads include:
- Pay per click advertising (PPC)
- Hosting webinars/teleseminars
- Direct marketing with sales letters
- Using email marketing
- Attending trade shows
- SEO to attract quality traffic
I could go on and on, but I think most of us are aware of the places where we can get leads. Today, I want to talk about how you can be a more effective lead generator when you’re at these places. Here are a few tips for helping you get more qualified leads.
- List the characteristics of your best customers—All leads are not created equal. If you want to get the Glengarry leads, you need to know who you’re targeting. My advice: Look at your best customers. Make a list of their characteristics: who they are, what’s important to them, how they found you, general demographic information, etc. If you want, call or email your best customers. Ask them why they chose to do business with you and what it is that keeps them coming back. These are the points you’ll want to focus your message on when trying to attract similar customers.
- Use customer-centric messages—Whether you’re building a landing page or preparing to attend a trade show, you need to remember that it’s all about the prospect. It’s not about you, so don’t spend all your time talking about yourself. Use customer-centric messaging, letting prospects know how they’ll benefit when doing business with you. Your customers only care about what’s in it for them. Never forget that.
- Offer a freebie to lure prospects in—One of my favorite techniques for building leads is to offer a free eBook or whitepaper to visitors who sign up for my email list. By starting with a soft sell and giving them something helpful, you slowly reel them in, allowing them to get a little more comfortable with you before you ask for the actual sale. Freebies are powerful tools for increasing your response rate.
How do you generate leads for your business? Share your tips by leaving a comment.