A Look a Some of the Best Ad Slogans
An effective ad slogan can create a unique identity for your brand that immediately sets you apart from your competition and builds recognition with your target audience. The best slogans drive home a key benefit of your products and services, are easy to remember, capture your personality, and set you apart from the competition.
To help you better understand what makes a great ad slogan, I’ve come up with a brief list of some of my favorite slogans.
• Geico: 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on your car insurance—I realize Geico uses a few different ad slogans (e.g. “So easy a caveman can do it), but this one is my favorite. It clearly spells out a key benefit of doing business with Geico. It’s not vague, and nothing is left to the imagination. The message is you could save 15% or more on your insurance by giving up just 15 minutes of your time. For anyone who has ever haggled with an overpriced insurance company, this slogan is overwhelmingly appealing.
• Milk: Got milk?—This campaign spawned dozens of copycat campaigns from other companies, but none were as successful as “Got milk?” The message of this campaign was that milk goes great with a variety of foods and sweets, and more importantly, milk is essential for having a healthy, strong, beautiful body (hence the celebrities with milk moustaches).
• BMW: The ultimate driving machine—BMW’s slogan is effective for a couple of reasons. Most obviously, the slogan lets you know that you’re getting an elite car that won’t end up in the shop every other week. It also plays on one of the main reasons we get a vehicle: for the sake of our image. Owning a BMW says that you have good taste and that you’re well off financially.
• Allstate: You’re in good hands—This slogan has been used by Allstate for over 50 years. That’s right: 50 years! Most companies go through ad slogans faster than some people change their underwear. Allstate’s slogan has an 87% recognition level, and it sends a comforting message that you’ll be taken care of should you get in an auto accident, your home get flooded, or any other devastating situation arise.
• Avis: We try harder—In a move of sheer advertising genius, Avis didn’t try to hide the fact that they weren’t the top rental car service. The “We try harder” slogan was their way of saying “Because we’re #2, we have to go the extra mile with superb customer service and excellent value to win your business.” In a backhanded way, it also implied that the #1 company couldn’t provide the same level of service as Avis because they were just too big. This made Avis a constant thorn in the side of #1 rental car company Hertz.
Which ad slogans are your favorites? Why?