I love reading about advertising. I have a huge collection of advertising books, and I’m constantly trying to learn from those more experienced and knowledgeable than I am. Throughout the course of all my reading, I’ve come across many great quotes I’d like to share with you. Hope you enjoy them.
- “The consumer is not a moron. She is your wife.” David Ogilvy—In other words, don’t disrespect your audience by talking down to them as if they’re idiots. Advertising isn’t about trying to con idiots into buying inferior products. It’s about letting your target audience know exactly how you can meet their most important needs to better their lives.
- “In advertising, not to be different is virtually suicidal.” Bill Bernback—If you can’t find a way to differentiate yourself from the competition, what reason do consumers have to choose you instead of one of your competitors? Creating a strong USP is essential to your success.
- “Promise, large promise, is the soul of an advertisement.” Samuel Johnson—This quote was made back in 1759, and it still rings true today. Whether you promise to save the consumer money or to reduce their impact on the environment, you have to promise them something. Your promise needs to reflect the benefit that’s most important to the consumer, and your produce must live up to the promise.
- “The business that considers itself immune to the necessity for advertising sooner or later finds itself immune to business.” Derby Brown—This is especially important in today’s economic climate where companies are cutting back their advertising and marketing budgets. Keep your name out there, or else you’ll risk fading into obscurity.
- “Doing business without advertising is like winking at a girl in the dark. You know what you are doing, but nobody else does.” Stewart Henderson Britt—You can’t just start a business, cross your fingers, and hope customers find you. You need to get your name and your message out there and beat that drum over and over so that consumers know exactly who you are and what you offer.
- “You must make the product interesting, not just make the ad different.” Rosser Reeves—It’s not enough to be different just for the sake of being different. Whatever it is that makes you different needs to be something of substance that directly benefits the consumer.
Do you have any advertising and marketing quotes that you enjoy? Share them with us in the replies.