5 Ways to Use Your eBook
People write eBooks for a variety of reasons. Some write them because they have an idea they need to get off their chests. Others write them because they dream of one day being a famous author (good luck). Whatever your reason for writing, if you’re like most people, you will end up with a finished product that just sits in your files somewhere, serving no real purpose.
Why? Is it that your eBook offers no real value? Not necessarily. I’d venture to say that plenty of good eBooks never get read. In fact, I have two of them sitting in my Dropbox right now. I think what happens to most people is they put the time in to writing their eBook, but have no real plan for how to use it. So it just sits.
With that in mind, I’ve come up with a brief list of 5 ways you can put that eBook that’s sitting there gathering dust to good use.
- Build your email list. Maybe you aren’t too concerned about making money off your eBook. If not, set it up on your site as a freebie in exchange for contact information. You might be surprised how many people will give you an email address in exchange for a free book. Once you have a hefty list, you can use it to keep in touch and inform the potential leads about related products and services.
- Get your name out there. The internet has done wonders for the growth of small business. We now have free tools at our disposal for marketing not just locally, but to the entire globe. However, sometimes it’s difficult to know where to start. An eBook is a great tool to get your name out there and become an authority on a topic. Offer it on your site, on Twitter, and on other blogs in your industry.
- Create passive income. Guess what, you might still be able to make money off your eBook. Set it up on a landing page and sign up with an affiliate site. When you have other people trying to push your book for you in exchange for a percentage, you don’t really have to do much to start seeing the money roll in. Will you get rich? Probably not. But a few bucks here and there without doing any real work feels pretty good.
- Set up your next effort to make money. Here’s a thought…maybe this eBook can be used to sell that next big idea. If someone reads this one and likes it, they will be more likely to pay for the next one. That said, see number one on this list and make sure you get their contact info.
- As a free addition to another product you are selling. If you are pushing a specific product on your site, it might be worthwhile to add in freebies with the product. You know, like “and when you order now, you also get this free eBook!” This serves a couple of purposes at once. You add something to convince them to buy and you become known as an author.
Have an eBook that’s gathering dust? Or maybe you’ve had success with one in the past? Tell me about it in the comments section!