5 Easy Ways to Familiarize Yourself with Your Target Audience
The more you know about your target audience, the more effective your marketing efforts will be. After all, you can’t tailor your marketing messages to an audience if you don’t know anything about them.
So, that leads to the question, how can you learn more about your target audience? How can you figure out what they’re really like?
Turns out, it’s actually a lot easier (and more fun!) than you might think. Here are some easy tips I’ve come up with. Add your own by leaving a comment.
- Watch a movie or TV show that depicts your audience—If your target audience is 18 year old guys, you should watch movies and TV shows where the lead characters are 18 year old guys. This lets you get a better sense for how your audience talks, the things they like to do, what their sense of humor is like, and what common issues they face in life.
- Read the same magazines, books, and blogs your audience reads—Make a list of all the different publications that cater to your target audience. Spend time regularly reading these publications. Take note of the tone of the content, so you can get a better idea of what type of content resonates with your audience.
- Check out their favorite forums—What are some of the forums your customers visit online? You don’t necessarily have to be interested in the topic of the forum, but you should spend some time monitoring the forums to see how your audience talks and interacts with one another, what types of subjects interest them, and more.
- Watch their behavior on social networking sites—Connect with your audience on Twitter, Facebook, and other social networking sites. Remember, you aren’t doing this to advertise to them. You’re connecting with them to build relationships, and to learn more about who they really are.
- Look at the marketing campaigns of other products they like—Not in your industry. But in other industries. Take note of the products that are popular with your target audience, and look at what these companies are doing to reach your audience. Try to do what they did.
What are some things you do to learn more about your target audience?