Tips for Buying Profitable Banner Ads
Placing banner ads on other websites can be a cost-effective way to drive targeted traffic to your website with the goal of increasing your leads and sales. But just like all other forms of advertising, there are some guidelines you need to follow to make sure you get an excellent ROI with your banner advertising.
Here are some tips to consider when buying banner ads.
• Place ads where your target audience dwells—Let’s say you run an online video game store. You probably wouldn’t want to buy banner advertising on a gardening blog that attracts older women. Instead, you’d want to look at video game websites/blogs, tech websites, and other online sites that attract your target audience. Displaying your ads to a highly targeted audience will get you a higher number of quality clicks.
• Location, location, location—While it might be cheaper to buy an ad on the footer of a website, you have to ask yourself if it’s really worth it. The most effective banner ads are those placed above the fold. They immediately capture the attention of new website visitors, whereas footer ads seem like an afterthought.
• Test different designs and copy—Just like all other types of advertising, the only way you can find the most profitable method of banner advertising is to test out multiple designs and copy. Determine which banner ads get the most clicks and conversions, and ditch the ads that aren’t performing up to your standards.
• Consider pay for performance deals—Many advertising networks offer plans that allow you only to pay for performance of your ad. In other words, you can choose to only pay a small amount whenever someone clicks your ad, rather than paying a large amount upfront. Or you can pay a set rate for every 1,000 impressions on the website your ad is being displayed on. This is the best way to get good value for your dollar.
• Avoid flash—While flash ads are, well, flashy, the simple truth is most website visitors won’t wait around for your ad to load or to cycle through the entire advertisement. Instead, create eye-catching jpg or gif files that load instantly so new visitors can see them the second they land on the website.
Do you use banner advertising for your business? How do you make certain you get maximum ROI?