The Biggest Reasons You Shouldn’t Buy Your Email List
What’s one of the most important things you need to run an email marketing campaign? Recipients for your emails! If you don’t have anybody to send your emails to, well, you can’t exactly run an email marketing campaign now can you?
So, that leads to the next question: How can you build a list of subscribers to send your emails to? You really have two options:
- You can build your own opt-in email list through a variety of tactics
- You can buy a list of email addresses from a vendor
A lot of people choose option #2. Why? Because it’s a lot faster and easier than building an email list from scratch. But guess what? Buying an email list is terrible idea. It’s a bad idea that can kill your email marketing efforts.
Why shouldn’t you buy your email list?
- Your recipients probably won’t be interested in what you’re selling—When you buy an email list, you’re getting a bunch of email addresses of people who haven’t requested to hear from you. So, when one of your emails suddenly pops up in the inboxes one day, do you really think they’re going to be excited to open it? Of course not. They will delete it or flag it as SPAM so fast it will make your head spin.
- You may be seen as a spammer—Sending commercial emails to people who haven’t opted in to your list is spammy. That’s really all there is to it. If a bunch of your messages get flagged as SPAM, you risk getting your IP address blacklisted, and you may even face fines and penalties for violating the CAN-SPAM Act.
- An opt-in list you build will always be more targeted than one you buy—The bottom line is this: you’ll get far better results from your email marketing if you take the time to build your own list. Your list will be more targeted, and it will include people who actually want to hear from you. That means they’ll be far likelier to respond to your offers! So, don’t try to take a shortcut by buying a list. Build your own list, and you’ll be glad you did.
Do you think it’s ever acceptable to buy an email list? Share your thoughts by commenting below.