5 Tips to Improve Your Email Marketing Open Rates
It’s pretty simple really. If your email subscribers don’t open your emails, you’re not going to have much success with email marketing. Subscribers who don’t open emails don’t respond to your special offers, don’t share your emails with their friends, and don’t take any other action you might want them to take.
So, what can you do to improve your open rates? Here are 5 simple tips to help you out.
- Send your emails on the right days—Did you know that an email you send on Monday probably won’t get as good of an open rate as one you send on Wednesday? It’s true. There are certain days when your subscribers are likelier to open emails. In general, the middle of the week is best—Tuesday-Thursday. Fridays, people tend to be looking forward to the weekend and wrapping up their week. Mondays, they’re usually still trying to get back in the swing of things.
- Include one of these things in your subject line—Marketing Sherpa recently released a study that found subject lines with the best open rates have one of the following: free product offer, discount offer, or a recognized brand name. Craft your subject lines accordingly.
- Don’t email too often—More than half of all people who unsubscribe from an email list say they do so because they’re getting emailed too often from the sender. If you’re always bombarding your subscribers with emails, you’re going to wear out your welcome, and they will start to ignore you.
- Build your own email list—Email lists that you build yourself will outperform email lists that you buy from somebody else. That’s because house built email lists are full of subscribers who actually request to hear from you, rather than random people who may not even know who you are.
- Ask your subscribers what they want—If subscribers aren’t getting what they expected from your emails, they’ll stop opening them. Take the time to listen to what your subscribers want, and then make sure your emails deliver upon that.
What are some other things you’ve done to increase your email open rates? Share your best tips by leaving a comment below.