Want Your Customers to Trust You?
One of the biggest ongoing battles your company will fight is winning the trust of customers. Consumers have become more skeptical of companies than ever before. They know that the web is full of shady businesses, so their first instinct is to call “B.S.” on any company they aren’t familiar with.
What can you do to gain the trust of customers? Here are some tips to help you gain the upper hand in this never-ending battle.
- Ask your satisfied customers for testimonials—Customers don’t trust you, but they do trust your customers. If they see that other consumers have had positive experiences when dealing with your company, they’ll feel more at ease doing business with you. But you can’t always expect your satisfied customers to brag about your company. You need to be proactive and ask them if they’d be interested in submitting a testimonial about their experience.
- Encourage customers to review you—Many customers now turn to independent review websites, like Yelp and Angie’s List, to research companies before doing business with them. These websites can make or break your reputation, so you need to kindly encourage your customers to review your company. Remember, you can’t bribe them to submit reviews or tell them to leave a positive review. Just ask them to leave honest feedback about their experience.
- Display your credentials proudly—If you have strong credentials and professional affiliations, your credibility will instantly increase. Post these affiliations and credentials prominently on your website and marketing materials.
- Never promise what you can’t deliver—If you lie to a customer only once, they’ll likely never trust you again. Never promise what you can’t deliver. If you tell them you’re going to do something, do it. In fact, go above and beyond what you promise so they’ll take notice and tell others.
- Be transparent and authentic—People trust people, not companies. That’s why it’s important that you build personal relationships with your customers. Be open with them. Be yourself. Connect with them on social networking websites, and make yourself available to talk to your customers. This will earn you that trust you desire.
What are some other tips you have for companies looking to earn trust from their customers?