In many ways, your logo is the face of your company. It’s the image your customers will associate with your brand, so it’s important to make sure that you get it right.
Here are 5 tips to keep in mind when designing a logo for your company.
- Include your name…legibly—While there are some large corporations that are able to get away with abstract logos (the Nike swoosh comes to mind), you shouldn’t take that approach. You probably don’t have that kind of recognition, nor do you have the money to do the type of promotion necessary to make an abstract logo inextricably tied to your brand. So, include your company or product name in the logo, and make sure people can read it easily.
- Don’t expect miracles—A new logo isn’t going to turn around your company’s fortunes. The sales won’t start suddenly flooding in just because you have a new logo; so while logo design is certainly important, you don’t want to put too much time, money, or effort into it. Keep things in perspective and get your priorities straight.
- Less is more—Some of the best words of advice when designing your logo are “keep it simple.” Your logo needs to be clear and easy to reproduce. If you have too many elements and complex themes going on, your message will get lost.
- Look forward—While you can’t always predict the future, you need to be thinking about it when designing your logo. Where do you want your company to be 5-10 years from now? Will you be adding a new product or service line? What do you want people to think of when they think of your brand? How is the design landscape changing? These are all things to consider when creating a new logo.
- Choose your designer wisely—Finally, you need to find a designer to bring your vision to life. Not all designers are good. In fact, the industry is plagued with terrible designers and design agencies that charge exorbitant rates for mediocre work. Spend some time shopping around. Always look at a designer’s portfolio before you make a hire.
What are some other logo design tips that should be on this list?