What You Can Do To Gain Authority Online
Being an authority in your industry isn’t just about having a reason to pat yourself on the back. When you’re an authority, consumers are likelier to trust you and buy from you. Of course, authority isn’t something that’s just handed out. You have to work for it.
Thankfully, there are several things you can do to increase your authority online.
- Start your own blog—While just starting a blog won’t instantly make you a leading authority in your niche, it’s a good place to start. The key to gaining authority through blogging is to create high quality posts on a regular basis. Always do the research necessary to create educational, informative posts that enhance the reader experience. Also, make sure you promote your blog properly as you’ll never gain authority if no one knows you exist.
- Guest post on other blogs—Once you start blogging, you should focus on building relationships with other bloggers in your niche. When you start to establish relationships with your fellow bloggers, simply ask them if they’d be interested in letting you contribute a guest post to their blog. Guest posting on another blog builds instant credibility as it’s essentially an endorsement from the blog owner. Always make sure your guest post is the best possible content you have to offer as this will be your one chance to reach a new audience.
- Visit answer websites—Sites like Yahoo! Answers, Blurtit, and even LinkedIn allow users to submit questions to be answered by members of the community. The community then votes on which answer is the best. This presents a huge opportunity for anyone looking to increase their authority online. Always answer the submitted questions in your area of expertise with well-reasoned opinions and a non-self promotional approach. A few good answers will go a long way to making people listen to what you say.
- Engage in conversations on Twitter—Twitter is the hottest social network of the moment, but don’t let its trendiness put you off. Lending your expertise in relevant conversations will help you establish yourself as an expert in your niche. The key to being successful on Twitter is to truly build relationships with your followers and to become an active participant in your community (Tweet regularly).
- Contribute to trade journals—Unlike the above tips where anyone can easily participate, contributing to a trade journal can be a challenge. After all, the editor of the publication has to determine whether your content is worthy of being in the journal or not. To go about getting your content in a publication, send a detailed article pitch to the editor of your favorite trade journals. Explain who you are, and what you have to offer to the publication’s readers.
- Write ezine articles—While some people believe article marketing is an outdated internet marketing method, I assert it’s still an effective way to increase your authority. Ezinearticles.com is the most popular ezine website, and it’s easy to get setup to submit your own articles. Include an author bio with your articles with links back to your website.
- Write an ebook—Rather than spending months pitching your books to publishers, why not self-publish your own ebook? While it might not gain you as much authority as having a #1 bestselling hardcover book, the ebook still can make you a respected voice in your field.
The one common theme between all of these tips is to make sure you always create quality content. If your content isn’t good, you’ll never gain authority despite how many blog posts or articles you write.