7 More Ways to Beat Blogger’s Block
A few months ago, I wrote a post offering tips to help you keep coming up with content ideas. All of these tips were aimed at helping you avoid blogger’s block. Well, it’s been a few months, and hopefully you’ve written a number of posts in the meantime. If so, you might be on the brink of another bout with writer’s block.
Never fear! Here are 7 more ways you can beat blogger’s block.
- Change Your Scenery- Sometimes, beating blogger’s block is as simple as moving from your desk to the coffee shop down the street. Why? Because when you’re stuck at your traditional writing spot, you begin to associate it with working. At that point, blogging becomes a chore, and there’s nothing around you to inspire your writing.
- Exercise- For me, this is the most effective tip on the list. Go out and take a run; or ride the stationary bike at the gym. You’ll be amazed at how quickly a little exercise will clear your mind, allowing new ideas to come rushing through. It’s my favorite cure for writer’s block.
- Create Headlines in Advance- Preparation is another key to avoiding blogger’s block. I have word docs for every blog I contribute to that are filled with headline ideas. Jot down a list of headlines, and once writer’s block starts to sneak up, simply use this list to create a new post.
- Talk to Friends in Your Niche- No matter how smart or great a blogger you are, you need to interact with others. A fresh perspective helps you grow as a blogger. Next time you find yourself struggling to come up with new ideas, strike up a conversation with someone in your niche. They just might mention something that you can turn into the subject of your next post.
- Read Old Posts- On a regular basis, I go back through my old blog posts for a few reasons. First, it helps me see mistakes I made so that I can improve as a writer. As it relates to this topic, going through old blog posts helps drum up new ideas. Look for topics you touched on that you can expound upon. Don’t forget to read the comments too.
- Write Anything- This is an old tip writing teachers have been giving out for years. If you can’t think of something relevant to write, just start writing anything. Write a letter; write about your day; write about something that upsets you…Just write anything! This will get you in the flow of writing, and it’ll help that blogger’s block go away.
- Embrace It- Now, I know what you’re thinking. You’re thinking embracing blogger’s block means you’re throwing in the towel. I disagree. Sometimes, embracing your lack of ideas is the best thing for your blog. It prevents you from writing subpar content, and it allows you to take a step back from everything while you clear your head. Writing should never be a chore.
What do you do when you have blogger’s block? Give me your best tips in the replies!