5 Simple Steps to Becoming a Better Writer
Becoming a better writer is hard work. There’s no way around this fact. It’s just like anything else in life. You have to work day in and day out on refining your skills.
No matter how skilled a writer you might be, there’s always room for improvement. And the good news is that whether you’re a novice or a seasoned pro, you can use these tactics to become a better writer.
1. Learn from the best–Nobody becomes a great writer without any outside influences. All of the best writers are also voracious readers. They study the masters, and emulate certain facets of their style, developing a unique voice in the process.
2. Experiment–I write every single day. It’s my job. But like any other writer, I get stuck in a rut from time to time. I find myself using the same techniques over and over again. My growth stagnates. To become a better writer, you have to try new things. Be experimental!
3. Learn how to revise–What separates average writers from great writers? You could argue that the best writers understand the importance of revisions. You’re not going to write the perfect piece on your first try. You have to go over your words carefully and find ways to improve them.
4. Stop wasting words–Focus on finding ways to say more while using fewer words. Choose your words carefully, and make each one count. This adds some oomph to your writing.
5. Get feedback–Share your work with other writers and ask for their honest feedback. There are many online and local writing communities you can turn to.
What are some of your tips for becoming a better writer?