5 Questions to Ask before You Start a Blog
So, you’re thinking about jumping on the blogging bandwagon. Welcome aboard. It’s better late than never. But before you install WordPress and start blogging, you need to ask yourself some questions. Answer these 5 questions to determine if blogging is right for you and which direction you want to take your blog in.
- What subject am I passionate about? You might remember my post from a few months ago titled, “Passion: The Missing Ingredient for Your Blog.” To me, you need to be passionate about the subjects you’re blogging about. Otherwise, your disinterest will come across in your posts. Furthermore, if you aren’t passionate about the subject of your blog, you’ll get burned out quickly. Passion keeps you going as a blogger. It helps you blog on those days where you might not feel like it. It helps you connect with your readers who also are passionate about your niche.
- Can I provide a unique point of view? With hundreds of millions of blogs vying for readers’ attention, it’s important that you’re able to provide your readers with a unique point of view they can’t find elsewhere. Don’t be satisfied rehashing the same topics you find on every other blog. Don’t attack every topic from the same angle and with the same opinion as everyone else. Try to carve your own path as a blogger. Be yourself. Let your personality and your true point of view come out in your writing.
- Who is my target audience? Who will be reading your blog? What are their likes and dislikes? What other blogs are they reading? Which subjects are they passionate about? Which type of writing do they respond to? The more you know about your target audience, the more equipped you’ll be to reach them.
- Do I have the time to maintain my blog? If I’ve seen it once, I’ve seen it a thousand times: Someone starts up their new blog, posts away for a few weeks, and then fades into oblivion because they just don’t have the time to maintain their blog. Starting and growing a blog will take time. You need to set aside time for writing your posts, promoting them, approving comments, responding to them, and more. If you’re already too busy as it is, now might not be the best time for you to start a blog.
- What are my goals with this blog? Every blogger should have goals. Whether it be simply to increase your search engine presence or to build brand awareness, your goals give you direction as a blogger.
What are your goals as a blogger? Share them in the comments.