Easy Tips for Improving Your Website’s Conversion Rate
So, you’ve spent the time and money to get your site top rankings in the major search engines, and you’re experiencing a major increase in traffic. Now what?
If that spike in traffic isn’t leading to a considerable increase in sales, it’s time to take a look at some tips for improving your website’s conversion rate. The truth is good rankings just aren’t enough. It’s how you capitalize on your search engine rankings that really matters.
Here are a few easy tips for improving your website conversion rate.
- Have Clear, Concise Copywriting- As soon as someone lands on your website, they need to have a clear understanding of who you are and what you do. More importantly, the need to know how your company will benefit them. Keep in mind that online readers tend to scan text rather than reading it. Accommodate them by using short paragraphs with bolded headings.
- Use Easy to Understand Navigation- Don’t try to get cute with your website navigation. I can’t begin to tell you how many times I’ve left a website in frustration because their navigation was far too confusing. Make it easy on your website visitors to find the information that they desire. If you don’t, they’ll leave your website until they find someone better to help them.
- Direct Attention toward Call to Action- Your call to action should stand out on your website. You want the visitor to take action, right? Have a clear, easy to understand call to action that tells the reader exactly what you want them to do. Give them incentives for taking this action such as a limited time offer or a free item if they act now.
- Reduce Customer Risk- Despite the increasing popularity of online shopping, customers are still more cautious online than in other situations. For this reason, it’s your job to reduce the risk they take when dealing with your company. How can you do this? Offer guarantees and no strings attached refunds. If the customer feels he has nothing to lose, he’ll be likelier to take action.
- Use Testimonials to Build Trust- Testimonials are really great tools for building trust with your company. Use real life testimonials with the customer’s real name, and people will start to trust your company. Also, I recommend not hiding the testimonials on their own page. I think it’s best to include them in a sidebar on your main landing pages. That way, while the visitor is thinking about the benefits of dealing with your company, the testimonials are right there encouraging him to do business with you.
- Be Easy to Contact- This is one of the most important tips for improving your conversion rate. Have your contact information readily accessible for website visitors to see. I recommend using more than the simple contact form that the customer has to fill out. Those are fine, but you should also include your company’s phone number and physical address so that the customer knows you’re a legitimate operation. The more information you give them, the more trust you earn.