5 SEO Strategies for the Long Term
SEO is a marathon, not a sprint. In order to achieve and keep high search engine rankings over the long haul, you need to stay committed by following a long-term SEO plan. It’s simply not enough to optimize your site once and then forget about it.
That’s why I’ve come up with this list of 5 long-term SEO strategies. Follow these to help you maintain top search engine placement.
1. Constant Keyword Research- A lot of people commit the mistake of assuming SEO keyword research is a one-time task. This is a crucial error in judgment. There are always new key phrases you can try to target. It’s essential that you practice continuing research over the long haul. This will help you go after seasonal phrases, overlooked terms, and new keywords that pop up over time.
2. Update Content Regularly- Of course, you need somewhere to put the new keywords that you’re going to be targeting. That’s why it’s important to update your content regularly. In addition to incorporating new keywords, updating your content regularly builds trust with search engines and humans. Furthermore, since the search engines crave fresh content, it increases your chances of grabbing high search engine placement.
3. Get Links for that Content- Link building is one of the most important long term SEO strategies. You should always be coming up with ways to get more high quality inbound links to your website. Don’t just go after the sudden surge in backlinks; try to create content and tools that steadily generate links over time.
4. Review Website Periodically- Sometimes, certain pages on your website just don’t work for SEO. Whether it’s the keywords you’ve chosen to target, a lack of links, or poor content, some pages just won’t rank well. It’s your job to review your website periodically to determine which tweaks can be done to change that. If you have a page that’s consistently done poorly over time, it’s probably time to change it up a little bit.
5. Focus on Usability- At the end of the day, the best thing you can do for your website is to focus on usability. Because it won’t matter how great your search engine rankings are if humans can’t use your site easily. To me, SEO done properly improves website usability. It’s only when people go overboard with their SEO that it hampers the site’s usability. If you make your site with the user in mind, they’ll make sure that your site stays popular.
What tips would you add to this list? Share them in the replies.